dan’s muesli bar recipe
Here is the recipe Dan and his mother cook in Six Impossible Things, page 47. They cook a simpler version of this – with fewer ingredients – because they haven’t got much in the pantry.
3 cups of rolled oats
1 cup of plain flour
three quarters of a cup of castor sugar
3 tablespoons of honey
one quarter teaspoon of baking powder
2 handfuls of milk chocolate chips
2 handfuls of chopped dried apricots
2 handfuls of dried cranberries
2 handfuls of chopped dried pineapple
It is fine to use golden syrup instead of honey. And it’s fine to use ANY combination of dried fruit, nuts, coconut. (For example, I’ve made this recipe using white chocolate, paw paw, almonds and coconut.)
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
2. Melt the butter and honey together.
3. Pour butter/honey onto the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Put the mixture in a baking-paper-lined baking dish, and press down firmly and evenly.
5. Bake at 180 degrees for about 15 minutes. Check after ten minutes. It’s cooked when it turns a toasty brown colour.
6. Cut lightly into bar shapes while still hot in the pan. Leave in the pan to cool.
7. When cool, remove from pan and cut bars through.
This is a big batch. It makes 16 generous bars or 32 smaller squares.